Stand apart from the casseroles and impress your guests with these cheesy little potato blossoms. These little potato tulips are like a single serving potato au gratin casserole in an edible cup, with a garnish of asparagus to really give that springtime flair. Once you’ve got your cheese sauce blended up, these are actually quite easy to assemble and are baked in a regular sized muffin tin until the potato slices are browned and crispy.
Cheesy Potato Asparagus Blossoms [Vegan]
- 1 large organic russet potato, scrubbed and sliced thin
- 1 very small yellow onion, sliced thin
- 10 stalks of asparagus, washed, trimmed, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- A little oil, to grease the muffin pan
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked for a few hours, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- A dash of onion powder, garlic, chili powder, and paprika
- A dash of cayenne (optional)
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- Simply add all ingredients to your blender and blend from low to high until completely smooth.
To Assemble the Blossoms:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the potato slices over a cutting board and lightly salt them with sea salt. Oil your muffin tin, and arrange the slices around each well.
- Spoon in a tablespoon or so of the cheese sauce. Then add a slice of onion, another thin layer of sauce, and then another potato slice, and another little dollop of sauce for a layered effect. Alternatively, you can simply dollop in 2 tablespoons of sauce and add a slice of onion. Add a sprinkle of vegan cheese shreds, if using. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take out of the oven and add a 4-5 pieces of asparagus and another little sprinkle of cheese shreds, if desired. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes. Remove when potatoes are lightly browned and crispy. Let sit for 5 minutes. Carefully use a fork to loosen the edges and gently scoop the cups out of the tray. Serve immediately.