This creamy cauliflower bake is the A+ procrastinator of brilliant recipes. Meaning you can make this delicious dish quickly and easily with few ingredients. It's creamy, cheesy, savory, and ooey-gooey. This Cheesy Cauliflower bake is a winning recipe that's destined to please all. What more could you need in a side dish?
Cheesy Cauliflower Bake With Bread Crumbs and Thyme [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 white potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup water, reserved from boiled vegetables
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Pinch paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium saucepan with a steamer, bring water to a boil. Peel potatoes, carrots, and the outer peel of your onion and add to the saucepan of boiling water. Meanwhile, add cauliflower florets to the top steamer pan. Steam cauliflower for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until al-dente; boil vegetables for approximately 20 minutes, or until soft.
- Transfer boiled vegetables to your blender, reserving the water from the saucepan. Add garlic cloves, reserved boiled water, cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Pour a thin layer of cheesy sauce into a baking dish, sprinkle with a layer of steamed cauliflower, and then top with more cheesy sauce. Continue this process of layering cauliflower and cheesy sauce until you've added all your cauliflower florets (similar to layering a lasagna). Then, sprinkle the cauliflower bake with bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. If desired, turn the oven to broil for the last 1-2 minutes to allow the bread crumbs to become more golden and crisp on top.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve.