This Cheese Polenta with Pesto and Chickpeas is the perfect family dinner that's vegan but full of flavor.
Cheese Polenta with Pesto and Chickpeas [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Cheese Polenta with Pesto and Chickpeas [Vegan]
For the Roasted Chickpeas:
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
For the Creamy Polenta:
- 1 cup organic polenta corn grits, yellow
- 3 cups organic vegetable stock (You can use water instead, if preferred!)
- 1 cup plant-based milk (use your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (You can also use dairy-free cheese shreds instead!)
How To Make Cheese Polenta with Pesto and Chickpeas [Vegan]
To Roast the Chickpeas:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, add the chickpea, olive oil, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, parsley, oregano, basil, and cumin, stirring them together until well coated.
- Add chickpeas to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing them mid-way until golden brown and crisp. Once done, remove from the oven and let the cool.
For the Pesto Sauce:
- Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and process (or blend) until combined and broken down. NOTE: If needed, add a bit of water (1 Tbsp), if too thick. The pesto should be paste-like in consistency.
To Make the Creamy Polenta:
- Bring 3 cups of veggie stock, milk, and salt to a low boil in a large-size pot or dutch oven. Once boiling, whisk in the polenta and cook 15-20 minutes until thickened and most of the liquid has "dried out". Stir in the butter, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast (if using), until melted and the polenta becomes creamy.
- In serving bowls, spoon the polenta into the bottom of the bowl(s) or plate(s) and top with a spoonful (or two) of pesto followed by the roasted chickpeas. Sprinkle dried parsley (optional) as garnish, if desired and serve immediately.
- Bon Appétit!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile