This chai cake is perfect to make for any special occasion!
Chai Cake [Vegan]
For the Chai Cake:
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chai concentrate*
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
For the Cinnamon Topping:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- (toasted walnuts for topping)*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar mix.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the almond milk, chai concentrate, olive oil, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Mix well using an electric mixer or a whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Add the cake batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- Halfway through baking, cover the pan with foil to prevent the top from browning.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Cream the earth balance using an electric mixer. Then, mix in the powdered sugar all the way. Add the almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Continue to mix until light and fluffy.
- When the cake is completely cool, remove it from the loaf pan. Trim the edges and the top of the cake. Then, frost the cake and dress the sides with toasted walnuts. For a finishing touch, flick a very small amount of ground cinnamon over the top of the cake.
To toast walnuts, lay them on a sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Keep a close eye on them (they burn easily)!
- Chai Spice