Think its impossible to make a vegetable like cauliflower taste like the smoky meat in sloppy joes? Think again! This recipe uses peppers, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, broth, Worcestershire, and a medley of other spices to create a perfectly zesty beef-like mix that tastes amazing sandwiched between two buns. Roll up your sleeves and dig into this saucy, ultra-messy, and very delicious sloppy joe. And then show your friends!
Cauliflower Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 of 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 of 1 large onion, diced plus additional slices for garnish (optional)
- 4 cups cauliflower, diced into small pieces
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- A generous pinch of pepper
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 4 buns of your choice
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Add in the garlic, pepper, and onion and cook until just lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, up to the parsley, and stir together. Make sure you really break the tomato paste down into the sauce.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring to a rapid boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates and the mixture is thickened (but still moist and saucy), about 10 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between the buns and garnish with parsley and onion.