Think its impossible to make a vegetable like cauliflower taste like the smoky meat in sloppy joes? Think again! This recipe uses peppers, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, broth, Worcestershire, and a medley of other spices to create a perfectly zesty beef-like mix that tastes amazing sandwiched between two buns. Roll up your sleeves and dig into this saucy, ultra-messy, and very delicious sloppy joe. And then show your friends!
Cauliflower Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cauliflower Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 of 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 of 1 large onion, diced plus additional slices for garnish (optional)
- 4 cups cauliflower, diced into small pieces
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- A generous pinch of pepper
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 4 buns of your choice
How to Prepare Cauliflower Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Add in the garlic, pepper, and onion and cook until just lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, up to the parsley, and stir together. Make sure you really break the tomato paste down into the sauce.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring to a rapid boil. Then, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates and the mixture is thickened (but still moist and saucy), about 10 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between the buns and garnish with parsley and onion.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2222 | Total Carbs: 537 g | Total Fat: 15 g | Total Protein: 29 g | Total Sodium: 4239 g | Total Sugar: 436 g Per Serving: Calories: 556 | Carbs: 134 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 1060 mg | Sugar: 109 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.