These Swiss chard cauliflower mashed potatoes are packed with healthy vegetables like cauliflower and Swiss chard for a healthier take on the classic comfort food. Creamy potatoes are infused with garlic, leeks, and fresh chard. This recipe is going to be the new, unexpected hit at your holiday feast or your latest favorite weekday dinner side!
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes With Swiss Chard [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound white potatoes or Yukon gold, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (white part only)
- 2 cups Swiss chard, ribs removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- In a medium-sized pot, add 2 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and potatoes. Cook uncovered for 15 to 17 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and leeks, sauté until tender and aromatic and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add chard and sauté for 2 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper to taste.
Drain vegetables very well, and then add back to the hot, dry pot. Lightly mash the vegetables, leaving some large pieces.Microwave 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 30 seconds, whisking to melt any chunks of undissolved butter or heat in a small saucepan until milk is warm and butter is melted.
Gradually add the warmed milk mixture into the potatoes, mashing to incorporate with each addition. Add more salt and pepper as needed to taste. Stir in the Swiss chard mixture.