What are the holidays without taking a healthy vegetable and then pushing it in the complete opposite direction and making it saucy and cheesy? However, no worries, as this vegan cauliflower cheese is here to save the day. The smooth, creamy sauce goes perfectly with the soft cauliflower and is a great accompaniment to any meal.
Cauliflower Cheese [Vegan]
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°F.
- Begin by cutting your cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
- Add your cauliflower to a large saucepan and fill with water.
- Bring to a boil and once boiling, boil for 2 minutes.
- Drain and place in a single layer on a baking dish.
- In another saucepan, melt your butter over a low heat.
- Once melted, add your flour and mix into a paste.
- Next, add your milk, nutritional yeast and seasoning (optional: grate in some nutmeg).
- Whisk to combine.
- Over a medium heat, continue to whisk until the sauce begins to thicken slightly. About 5 to 10 minutes, and you should see a slight change in consistency.
- Pour your sauce over your cauliflower.
- Sprinkle the ground almonds on top.
- Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
This can be made the night before up until step 13, then place in the oven when needed. Re-heat in your oven at 180°F.