These carrot zucchini squares make it easy to say "yes" to treating yourself with their abundance of hidden veggies! They are made from quinoa flour (or whole wheat flour), packed with veggie goodness, and topped with a creamy cashew maple frosting. Perfect for dessert or that mid-day snack!
Carrot Zucchini Squares With Cashew Maple Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Squares:
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 chia egg ( 1 tablespoon chia seeds plus 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa flour or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
For the Frosting:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked over night and rinsed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons cashew milk (any non-dairy milk will do.)
- A pinch of sea salt
To Make the Squares:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
- Grate your carrot and zucchini.
- In a small bowl, make your chia and flax eggs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add your coconut sugar, agave, melted coconut oil, vanilla, flax, chia, and milk.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk your flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, ground cloves, and cinnamon.
- Add wet to dry and mix.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour mixture into your greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
To Make the Frosting:
- Add everything to your food processor or blender and blend, and blend, and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator while your squares cool to room temperature. The frosting will thicken up a bit as it chills.
- Frost evenly with desired amount and cut into squares.
- Top each square with a pinch of cinnamon and some chopped walnuts.