There's a local Indian joint that serves a dessert called halwa, which is basically grated carrots, milk, sugar, nuts, and ghee. I just had to recreate a more healthified vegan halwa at home. I used dates and coconut milk in place of the milk and sugar, and I promise you that it's just as delicious as the original version. I also added turmeric, cardamom, and mint to give the carrots an exotic twist.
Carrot Halwa With Mint [Vegan]
- 2 cups carrots, grated finely
- 3-4 Medjool dates
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1.5 cups organic coconut milk (light is fine)
- handful of cashews
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1 Tablespoon dried currents (raisins will work too)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- handful of fresh mint, chopped
- Soak the dates in warm water for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the grated carrots to a pot with coconut oil. Heat for 3-5 min on low medium heat, stirring often.
- Drain and place the dates in a food processor and process until smooth (add water as needed). Add to carrot mixture in pot.
- Add the coconut milk, cardamom, cashews, currents, turmeric and ginger. Stir frequently and simmer until liquid is absorbed, approx 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool for 10-15 min, then add mint and stir.
- Scoop into bowls and serve!