This carrot halwa is simple and delicious and contains no oil!
Carrot Halwa [Vegan]
- 2 big carrots (the red, juicy variety), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup jaggery powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoon (s) slivered almonds/chopped cashews
- A handful of golden raisin, soaked in water & drained
- A big pinch of elaichi (green cardamom) powder
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan/kadhai. Lower the heat and add the desiccated coconut. Dry roast for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously until it turns golden brown.
- Add the grated carrots and pineapple pieces and mix well. Cook over low-medium heat for around 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle a few drops of water if necessary.
- Mix in the jaggery powder and stir. Now the carrot-pineapple mixture will begin to release water. Continue cooking until most of the liquid is absorbed and the halwa is tender, around 18-20 minutes. Add the green cardamom powder and mix well. Serve hot or warm, garnished with slivered nuts and raisins!