With summer time and hence BBQ’s approaching, I feel the need to share with all of you an equally tasty and much more healthy alternative to the regular ‘hot dog’, such as the heavily processed veggie sausages that are out there.
Carrot Dogs [Vegan]
- 4 carrots
- 4 hot dog buns
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy) sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Dash of liquid smoke (optional)
For the toppings:
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Onion, diced
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Cut off the ends of all four carrots and peel them.
- In a medium-sized pan, bring water to boil and place the carrots inside. Cook for 7-8 minutes (until fork tender).
- In the meantime mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Place the carrots into an air-tight container or a zipper bag and pour the marinade on top.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours, but preferably longer so that the carrots can fully soak in the marinade.
- Heat up your hot dog buns in the oven.
- At the same time, heat up a non-sticking pan and place the soaked carrots inside. Pour about 1 tablespoon of the marinade on top of each carrot and let cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, until each side is brown (you want to make sure not to cook them too soft so that they have that nice crunch). Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your carrot, so make sure to check with a fork.
- Prepare your carrot dogs with the desired toppings (tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, vegan mayonnaise, mustard, etc.) and enjoy!