Here's a wonderful recipe with caramelized pear, onion, and cranberry sauce. A savory tart with rich, sweet flavors. Made with vegan cream cheese.
Caramelized Red Onion and Pear Tart [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Caramelized Red Onion and Pear Tart [Vegan]
- 10.6 ounces shortcrust pastry (store-bought or make your own)
- 8 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 pear, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 8 teaspoons cranberry sauce
- 8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pink/sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Caramelized Red Onion and Pear Tart [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 356°F.
- Make your pastry or if using store-bought, let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Using a large loose base flan tin, line the tin with the pastry. Trim the sides with a knife and fork the base (stops it rising). Pop back in the fridge for half an hour while you make the filling.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the pear, garlic, and onion. Fry on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelize everything.
- Remove the tin from the fridge and spoon in the vegan cream cheese and cranberry. Sprinkle over the sage, salt, and pepper. Add the pear and onion then pour over any liquid from the pan.
- Make sure everything is evenly spread and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove carefully from the oven and let the tart rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your roast dinner or great with a side salad. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.