This Caramelized Banana Rum Shake gets its bulk solely from bananas whose sweet, rich flavor are lovingly brought out by a light sprinkle of pure maple sugar and a quick “sunbath” under the broiler.
Caramelized Banana Rum Shake [Vegan]
- 4 large bananas, split in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon pure maple sugar
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 ounce golden rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the broiler. Place banana halves on a cookie sheet that's been lined with aluminum foil. Sprinkle banana halves with maple sugar.
- Broil bananas until the sugar caramelizes and is bubbling. Watch carefully! This should take about 5 minutes. Let the banana halves cool a bit and then freeze them.
- In a blender, add the banana halves, non-dairy milk, rum, and vanilla. Process until smooth and serve immediately.