In this recipe, banana is pan-fried until it begins to caramelized and then mixed into a crunchy oat and buckwheat granola, giving it a sweetness that's as delightful as it is unique. You'll have a hard time not devouring this granola in one day and no trouble with finding ways that you can use it. Eating it as a cereal, with a splash of non-dairy milk, snacking on it dry, or topping it on smoothies are among the best!
Caramelized Banana Granola [Vegan]
For the Granola:
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/8 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana, sliced
- Coconut oil
For the Optional Add-Ins:
- Chia seeds
- Chopped nuts (omit for nut-free)
- Puffed brown rice
- Flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Heat a pan with a little bit of coconut oil, just enough to keep the bananas from sticking. Add the sliced bananas and cook them over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until they begin to bubble around the edges.
- Flip and cook for 2-3 more minutes, or until they're soft and gooey. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, coconut, buckwheat groats, cinnamon, and any other add-ins.
- Mash the caramelized banana as well as you can and then add it to the dry ingredients.
- Stir the banana through making sure everything is coated.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, lightly stirring halfway through. Remove from oven once the granola is golden.
- Let cool and then serve.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.