The nutrients combined from dates, buckwheat, coconut oil and peanut butter all work perfectly to create the perfect caramel square that’s sure to give you heaps of energy! Only sweetened with dates, these squares are full of fiber to help gradually increase blood glucose levels – giving you the perfect sustained hit of oomph! Make these and store them in the freezer, pop into lunch boxes for the perfect mid morning snack – they’re seriously so delicious!
Caramel Squares With Activated Buckinis [Vegan, Gluten-Free, No Refined Sugar]
For the Base:
- 2 cups organic activated buckwheat grouts
- 1 1/2 cup medjool dates - pitted
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter - or almond butter if you have a peanut allergy
- 2 tablespoons organic cold pressed coconut oil - melted
- Pinch pink himalayan rock salt
For the Caramel Topping:
- 2 and 1/2 cups regular dates - pitted
- 2 tablespoons organic cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan rock salt
For the Base:
- Place the activated buckwheat grouts into the food processor and process for about a minute just to help break them down a bit.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and blend until all combined.
- Press the mixture down into a lined baking dish. I used a 8-inch by 11-inch dish. Rub a bit of coconut oil on your hands to help avoid the mixture sticking to your hands whilst pressing down.
- Place into the freezer while you make the caramel topping.
Use organic whenever possible!