There is nothing quite like a grilled cheese sandwich. Gooey, melty cashew mozzarella is sandwiched between two buttery slices of Italian bread with an easy balsamic vinaigrette dressing, fresh lettuce, and thick slices of tomato. Behold, the vegan Caprese sandwich! Because everything is better when you put it on bread.
Caprese Sandwich With Cashew Mozzarella [Vegan]
For the Cashew Mozzarella:
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Sandwich:
- Italian bread
- Fresh basil
- Cashew mozzarella
- Balsamic vinaigrette (recipe below)
For the Vinaigrette:
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
To Make the Cheese:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until liquid.
- Heat in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly.
- The mixture will start to form clumps. Continue stirring until thick and stretchy.
To Make the Vinaigrette:
- Combine equal parts red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
Assemble the Sandwich:
- Cut 2 thick slices of your bread.
- On one slice, brush with the vinaigrette, on the other slice, add a thick layer of the vegan cheese.
- Top with tomato slices and fresh basil leaves.
- Grill in a hot, buttered skillet to your liking.
- Cheesy Recipes