Candied orange peels for all your baking needs! These tart, sugar-coated candy peels are just begging to top a show-stopping chocolate cake.
Candied Orange Peels [Vegan]
- 2 medium oranges
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups or water
- 1 cup of sugar, for coating
- Cut the ends off of the oranges. Score each orange 5 times vertically. Using your fingers take off the peel, segment by segment, including the white pith.
- Cut each segment into 1/4-inch strips.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the orange peels and cook in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Put the peels in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, bring the 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the peels. Return to a boil. Once the pot is boiling reduce the heat to low and allow the peel to simmer for 45 minutes, until the peels are soft. Drain carefully.
- The next step is to coat the peels in sugar with the remaining cup of sugar. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread a thin coat of sugar on it. Place the peels in one layer on top of the sugar. With a spoon or your fingers, cover the tops of the peels with the remaining sugar.
- Remove each peel from the sugar and transfer onto another parchment-lined baking sheet. Let it stand until the coating is dry, 24-48 hours. Place another piece of parchment paper to loosely cover it while the peels dry. After a few hours, transfer to the refrigerator until ready to use.
Store in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to use or wrap in layers of plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1-2 months.