If you love creamy, earthy French cheese with a bloomy rind, you’ll love this vegan Camembert. Similar to Brie, Camembert is a nutty cheese but has deeper earthy undertones. Slice this fragrant cheese over a piece of crusty baguette or present it as part of your next cheese platter for ultimate enjoyment.
Camembert [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/3 cups almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kappa carrageenan powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon chickpea miso paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- Place the almond milk, carrageenan powder, 1/4 cup of the tapioca flour, yeast, miso, and salt in a saucepan. Whisk vigorously until all the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth. Add the coconut oil and whisk again.
- Heat over medium heat, continually stirring the mixture with a flexible spatula. As the mixture begins to thicken, lower the heat to low. Scrape the sides of the saucepan with the spatula while stirring vigorously. Continue to cook, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes, until the mixture transforms into a stretchy, smooth, gooey mass of melted cheese.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and fold in the vinegar and truffle oil. Whisk to blend.
- Line a cake pan or a round glass container with plastic wrap with any extra hanging over the sides. Pour in the cheese mixture. Spread evenly and cover. Let the cheese cool for 30 minutes before refrigerating for 6 to 8 hours to firm and set.
- Remove the cheese from the container and place on a waxed paper–lined plate. Dust the cheese with the remaining 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour. This will help dry the exterior and mimic the white rind you find on traditional Camembert. Place the uncovered cheese in the refrigerator to air dry for 8 hours.
- Wrap the cheese in plastic wrap. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Will keep, refrigerated, for 1 to 2 weeks. Allow the cheese to come to room temperature before serving.
For a fun and delicious treat, serve your wheel with maple-glazed pecans. Toast nuts and drizzle with maple syrup. If the heat is too high or the mixture is heated too quickly, sometimes the oil might separate from the mixture while cooking. If this occurs, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir vigorously until smooth. If the mixture will not reemulsify, add a dash of almond milk and whisk until recombined. Excerpted from VEGAN CHEESE: Simple, Delicious, Plant-Based Recipes by Jules Aron. Copyright © 2017. Used with permission of the publisher, Countryman Press. All rights reserved. https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cheese-Delicious-Plant-Based-Recipes/dp/1581574037/?tag=onegrepla-20