Who says salads have to be cold, limp veggies in boring dressing out of a plastic container? Not this lady! This salad combines interesting texture (pumpkin seeds) with warm ingredients (crumbled tempeh and crispy shallots), along with a buttery tahini dill dressing and peppers for color. We had green peppers on hand, but if you’re looking to make this even more of a rainbow, red, yellow or orange ones would work just as well.
Buttery Spinach Salad With Tempeh and Crispy Shallots [Vegan]
- 1 cup gluten-free tempeh, broken up into little crumbles
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4-5 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup buttery tahini dill dressing
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 4 fresh lemons
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 handfuls fresh dill, stems removed
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin, garlic powder and paprika in a bowl. Add tempeh and mix until coated.
- Spread tempeh on a foil-lined tray and bake for 20 minutes until browned.
- In the meantime, prepare your dressing per the instructions at the link below. Set aside in the fridge.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add green pepper and continue to sautee for 4-5 minutes more, until shallots are crisped. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toss greens with dressing, then top with tempeh, sauteed veggies and pumpkin seeds. Divide into bowls and serve.