Whilst this recipe is without eggs and gluten, it is not without the flavor, texture and appearance of traditional gnocchi. The butternut squash gives them a lovely flavor and color, and the gluten free flour and gram flour do a brilliant job of binding the dough. The butternut squash gnocchi go well with any sauce, whether it be a classic tomato sauce, or an olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and rosemary sauce.
Butternut Squash Gnocchi [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 cups butternut squash, diced
- 3 cups gluten free flour (plus more for rolling)
- 2 tablespoons gram (chickpea) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Boil, bake or steam your butternut squash until very soft.
- Mash the butternut squash until smooth.
- On a board or in a bowl, add the butternut squash, gluten free flour, gram flour and salt.
- Mix until it all comes together and you have a tight yet spongey dough. Depending on the moisture content of your squash, you may need to add more flour. Just keep adding until you have the right consistency.
- On a floured board, take a piece of the dough and roll it into a rope.
- Cut the rope into bite sized pieces.
- Roll each piece over the tines of a fork and place on a floured dish until ready to boil.
- Bring a big, heavily salted pot of water to the boil.
- Add the gnocchi, taking care not to overcrowd the pot. (This will cause them to stick together) If your pot is small, cook the gnocchi in batches.
- Once the gnocchi float, they are ready. Drain, top with any sauce and enjoy.