This is a full-flavored curry sauce that can be served traditionally over a protein such as tofu, tempeh, or seitan. It also works great over steamed veggies, beans, or rice.
Butter Chick’n [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) grated ginger
- 1 can (28 ounces, or 784 g) diced tomatoes or 3 cups (540 g) fresh chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons (11 to 14 g) garam masala (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 to 120 ml) water (use the lower amount if you use the nondairy milk instead of the nondairy creamer)
- 1 package (15 ounces, or 420 g) tofu, drained and cubed (*substitute a similar amount of seitan or kidney beans to make this soy-free)
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) nondairy butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) plain nondairy creamer or nondairy milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Brown basmati rice, for serving
The Night Before:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes longer. Store the sautéed onion and the grated ginger together in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To Prep the Dish:
- Combine the sautéed onion, ginger, tomatoes, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, salt, water, and tofu in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, add the nondairy creamer and nondairy butter and stir to combine and melt the butter. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve topped with a handful of chopped fresh cilantro over rice.