In this recipe, russet potatoes are hollowed out and then baked so that the skins get crispy, then they're stuffed with quinoa, black beans, vegetables, and plenty of guacamole. These loaded burrito bowl potato skins are the perfect appetizer for barbecues, game day, movie night, or even for dinner! Add a big dollop of sour cream and plenty of chipotle sauce to really add some pizazz.
Burrito Bowl Potato Skins [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Burrito Bowl Potato Skins [Vegan]
- 6 medium Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for brushing on potatoes
- Guacamole and sliced green onion, for topping
How to Prepare Burrito Bowl Potato Skins [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Pierce potatoes with a knife or fork a few times, then place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove when the potatoes are tender and cool for 15 minutes.
- Boil 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of dry quinoa on the stove, then turn down to low heat and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. Remove from heat when done.
- While the quinoa is cooking, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a pan and add in the diced yellow onion. Sauté until translucent, then add in diced zucchini with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until zucchini is tender. Add the onions and zucchini into the quinoa, along with black beans, chili powder, red chili flakes, lime juice, cilantro leaves, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Once the potatoes are cooled, slice then in half and scoop out 70 percent of the inside of the potato. Make the middle as hollow as possible. Turn the potatoes over on the baking sheet and brush the skins with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Broil them skin side up for 2-3 minutes, or until crispy.
- Take the potato skins out of the oven and stuff them with the quinoa black bean mixture. Bake for an additional 2-3 minutes, then top with guacamole and green onions.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1671 | Total Carbs: 276 g | Total Fat: 46 g | Total Protein: 50 g | Total Sodium: 47 g | Total Sugar: 21 g Per Serving: Calories: 139 | Carbs: 23 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 4 mg | Sugar: 2 g Calculation not including salt, guacamole, or red onion.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.