This dish comes together with little effort; all you have to do is throw it in an Instant Pot!
Bulgar with Chickpeas, Spinach, and Za’atar [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons za’atar, divided
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur, rinsed
- 1 (15‑ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 ounces (5 cups) baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Using highest sauté function, heat 2 tablespoons oil in Instant Pot until shimmering. Add onion and salt and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and 1 tablespoon za’atar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in bulgur, chickpeas, and water.
- Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure cook function and cook for 1 minute. Turn off Instant Pot and quick-release pressure. Carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Gently fluff bulgur with fork. Lay clean dish towel over pot, replace lid, and let sit for 5 minutes. Add spinach, lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon za’atar, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil and gently toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile