You'll never have anything like these Buffalo tempeh burgers. Meaty, savory, spicy, and sweet — yes, sweet — from Medjool dates, these burgers are covered with sauce and topped with onion rings or potato chips. These burgers will be your new best friend. They're perfect for backyard barbecues, but you shouldn't wait for a special occasion to dive right into this recipe.
Buffalo Tempeh Burger [Vegan]
To Make the Burgers:
- In a bowl, mash the kidney beans until you have a coarse mass. Dice the tempeh and add to the bowl.
- Finely dice the small onion as well as the Medjool dates. Transfer to the bowl.
- Add tamari, barbecue sauce, and season with salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to knead the batter until all is well mixed and it holds together well.
- Form patties and heat oil in a saucepan. Fry the patties on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread some barbecue sauce on the bottom bun. Start with lettuce, then put a burger, tomato, and whatever else you like. Add more barbecue sauce and serve.