I've cracked it! A batter that requires zero oils or fats to crisp up beautifully in a hot oven. Feel free to use any kind of onion you like; I only had red ones on hand, but I think these would be AMAZING with Vidalia/sweet onions. Just adjust the cooking time if you use big rings. Just imagine the possibilities: on veggie burgers, stacked high in a tower o' rings, or as a side to some awesome pulled jackfruit sammiches...
Oil-Free Baked Onion Rings [Vegan]
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 415°F.
- Slice your onions into even rings and pat them dry.
- Make the batter by combining all the other ingredients. Adjust the water if it's too thick or add flour if too thin.
- Coat the rings evenly and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Pop into the oven for about 20 minutes (or until crisp) and just starting to brown. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Serve with your favorite sauce or eat as is.