This sushi is a fusion of Japanese and American flavors; fresh vegetables and spicy, crunchy Buffalo peanuts are wrapped in seasoned rice and then drizzled with a creamy Buffalo sunflower seed sauce. If you don't have a bamboo rolling mat, or if you're just not into rolls, you can also serve this amazing meal as a rice bowl.
Buffalo Peanut Inside-Out Sushi [Vegan]
For the Rice:
- 1 cup arborio rice (sushi rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Buffalo Peanuts:
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
For the Sushi:
- 3 sheets of nori, cut in half
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup creamy sunflower buffalo sauce ( ingredients below)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into thin julienne strips about 4-inches
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh-chopped dill
- 1 cup sunflower kernels, soaked or simmered
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup mild-flavored vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vegan hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- A bamboo sushi rolling mat
- A gallon-size resealable plastic bag
- Plastic wrap
To Make the Rice:
- Place all ingredients in a rice cooker and follow the instructions on your machine. If you do not have a rice cooker, bring water and salt to a boil in medium saucepan.
- Stir in rice, agave, and vinegar. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 16-18 minutes. Once rice is cooked, remove from heat and cool completely.
To Make the Buffalo Peanuts:
- Add coconut oil, hot sauce, and garlic to a small bowl and mix together.
- Add in the peanuts and toss to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in peanuts and sauté until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and toss with black pepper. Set aside to cool.
To Make the SunflowerBuffalo Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until silky smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make the Sushi:
- Place your bamboo mat inside a resealable bag. Place on a flat work surface with the bag opening facing away from you. Place one half-sheet of nori on the edge closest to you. Add 1/2 cup of cooled rice in a single layer about 1/4-inch thick to completely cover the nori. Sprinkle liberally with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Flip over so the rice is face down on the plastic and nori is side up.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the creamy sunflower buffalo sauce in a thin layer on the nori. Into the center of the nori, layer about 4 pieces of celery, 1/4 cup of the buffalo peanuts, and 2 tablespoons green onion.
- Carefully roll in the sushi mat to close and create an inside out roll. Take care to roll as tightly as possible. Open mat. Cover the entire roll with plastic wrap, then re-roll in the bamboo mat to form the roll. Leave the roll in the plastic wrap, in the refrigerator, until ready to serve.
- To serve, carefully unroll from the plastic and, using a very sharp knife, cut off each end of the roll and discard (or eat!). Cut the roll in half, then cut each half into quarters, and finally each quarter into eighths. Carefully remove each piece and arrange on a plate. Drizzle with remaining creamy sunflower buffalo sauce and garnish with remaining green onions and dill.
Not into rolls? Try it as a bowl instead! Simply layer all components in a bowl, drizzle with sauce, and sprinkle with shredded nori sheets, green onions, and dill.
- Buffalo Sauce