This simple stir-fry with broccolini and Shiitake mushrooms is so easy to make and so flavorful! Tossed in a spicy sesame chili soy sauce for a flavorful kick, it is perfect as a side dish or a main meal; just add rice, noodles, or your favorite grains. The broccolini is tender, but still retains some bite, the mushrooms are meaty, and it's all tossed in a spicy Sriracha soy sauce. Yum!
Broccolini and Shiitake Stir-Fry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, to make it gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or hot chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 bunches broccolini trimmed, about 12 ounces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups Shiitake mushrooms stems trimmed, cut in half
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper 1/4-inch dice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced on a bias
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan with salted boiling water, blanch the broccolini until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Drain, wash with cool water to stop the cooking process, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large sauté pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the red bell pepper to the pan and sauté for 1 minute. Add the cooked broccolini, and cook for one minute. Reduce the heat to low and add the sauce, toss the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Transfer vegetables to a dish. Pour some of the sauce over the top and garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.