Broccoli is a staple of any vegetable enthusiast but it's always frustrating to be left with a giant stalk and nothing to do with it – this recipe solves that problem. This recipe uses the stalks from the broccoli to make a delightful rice that's very similar in texture to cauliflower rice and it cuts down on your food waste in the bargain. This rice is the perfect foundation to any meal you can imagine, so get creative.
Broccoli Stalk Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 broccoli stalks
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion (or 1/4 cup fresh, minced)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning of your choice
- Using a vegetable peeler or a knife, remove the tough outer layer of the broccoli stalks.
- Chop the stalks into even-sized chunks, about 1-2 inches long.
- Place them in a food processor and pulse them until you have pieces the size of rice – it doesn't take long.
- Place all ingredients in a sauté pan and water sauté until they're slightly tender.