There is nothing better on a cold day than a cozy bowl of homemade soup! This dairy-free broccoli and spinach blend is creamy and nourishing and super easy to make.
Broccoli Spinach Soup [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (optional, for thickening)
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, florets and stems separated
- 4 cups vegetable or bone broth
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjuster to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Melt the vegan butter in a medium-sized stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onion and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and arrowroot starch and cook for another minute, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the broccoli stems and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the broccoli stems are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the florets and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes or until all of the broccoli is tender. Then add the spinach and cook for one more minute to wilt.
- Stir in the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and remove from heat.
- Carefully purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pot and adjust seasoning to taste. Reheat if necessary and serve with toppings as desired.