There is nothing better on a cold day than a cozy bowl of homemade soup! This dairy-free broccoli and spinach blend is creamy and nourishing and super easy to make.
Broccoli Spinach Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Broccoli Spinach Soup [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (optional, for thickening)
- 8 cups fresh broccoli, florets and stems separated
- 4 cups vegetable or bone broth
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjuster to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to Prepare Broccoli Spinach Soup [Vegan]
- Melt the vegan butter in a medium-sized stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery and onion and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and arrowroot starch and cook for another minute, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the broccoli stems and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the broccoli stems are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the florets and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes or until all of the broccoli is tender. Then add the spinach and cook for one more minute to wilt.
- Stir in the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and remove from heat.
- Carefully purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pot and adjust seasoning to taste. Reheat if necessary and serve with toppings as desired.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.