This savory pie is guaranteed to win you over. The gluten-free crust is made from a blend of flours like buckwheat, brown rice, and quinoa and it is topped with a creamy, cheesy hummus plus plenty of green veggies. This dish is perfect for serving a crowd and since you can change the vegetables according to what's in season, it's versatile, too!
Broccoli Hummus Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Broccoli Hummus Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
For the Filling:
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon psyllium husk
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
For the Veggie Topping:
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen green peas
How to Prepare Broccoli Hummus Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper (trace the base onto parchment and cut it out).
- Put the pumpkin seeds in a coffee grinder, or small blender using the flat blade, and grind until a flour-like texture is reached.
- Add the dry ingredients (buckwheat flour through salt) to a food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
- Add applesauce and almond milk and process until the dough comes together and forms into a ball.
- Press the dough into the springform pan, working from the middle, pushing the dough up the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
To Make the Filling:
- Sauté the onion and garlic in 2-3 tablespoons water until the onions soften, about 3-5 minutes. Add the balsamic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add the onion mix and all other ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Remove from blender/processor and set aside.
To Make the Veggie Topping:
- To prep the leek, trim the dark green ends and the base and discard. Thinly slice the leek, crosswise, and add to a large bowl of water. Rinse in the water, removing any dirt or debris, and drain. The leek is ready to use.
- Add the sliced leek to a large sauté pan and sauté in 2-3 tablespoons of water for about 5 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent burning. Add broccoli and cook on medium heat, adding additional water as needed to prevent burning, until broccoli is bright green and tender. About another 3-5 minutes.
Add the spinach and frozen peas and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix half the sautéed veggies with the chickpea filling. The other half of the vegetables will be used for the top layer of the pie.
- Transfer the filling/vegetable mix to the pie, spread it evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the rest of the cooked veggies, lightly pressing them into the filling, and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Using a thin spatula or butter knife trace the edge of the pie, separating the pie from the rim. Remove the outer ring, cut into eight slices and serve.
Adapted from a recipe by Amy Chaplin.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Arrowroot Flour
- Chickpea Flour
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
- Oat Flour
- Quinoa Flour
- Rice Flour
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1766 | Total Carbs: 258 g | Total Fat: 53 g | Total Protein: 72 g | Total Sodium: 3129 g | Total Sugar: 30 g Per Serving: Calories: 221 | Carbs: 32 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 9 g | Sodium: 391 mg | Sugar: 4 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.