A note non-Brits: a Bourbon cream is the most attractive and delightful little biscuit there ever was. You may not call it a cookie. No, it does not contain Bourbon. It’s totally non-alcoholic and surprisingly can often be found to contain no eggs or dairy, just vegetable oils. But it’s never sold with a Baileys cream center, so I decided to make one.
British Baileys Bourbon Cream Biscuits [Vegan]
- 9 oz spelt or plain flour
- 4.5 oz vegan butter
- 4.5 oz soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 tbsp Irish whiskey
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the vegan butter and work it into the dry ingredients by rubbing them together between your fingertips. The end result should resemble wet sand and be moist but not too sticky.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Unwrap the biscuit dough and roll it out on a clean surface. Make it into a rectangle 23cm x 30.5cm (9in x 12in), and about 0.5 cm (0.25 inch) thick. Cut the rectangle in 3 parts lengthways, then cut across them in 2.5 cm (1 inch) intervals. You should have 36 biscuits.
- Place them on a lined baking tray and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and place over medium heat. Give it about 5 minutes for all the ingredients to melt into each other, then stir with a wooden spoon. Remove from the hob and set aside to cool completely.
- Stir in 2 tsp psyllium husk, then place in the fridge to set. It’s best to leave it overnight, but a minimum of 6 hours will do.
- Spread about a teaspoon of the Baileys cream onto the bottom side of a biscuit, then press another one on top. Do this for all of the biscuits. If you have any cream leftover, feel free to dip the biscuits into it or eat it on its own as pudding!