Let's be real: who doesn't love breadsticks? All the deliciousness of bread in a fun, dippable stick form! To top it all, these breadsticks are braided so they will look extra fancy for your dinner parties.
Braided Herbed Breadsticks [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian spice mix
- 1 tablespoon mixed dry herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or any neutral oil
- Mix together first three ingredients. Cover and keep for 10 minutes. The mixture will turn frothy.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Add to the yeast mixture and stir till well combined.
- Empty dough on a floured counter and knead for 5-6 minutes till it becomes soft, supple and elastic.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Turn around once to coat it with oil evenly. Cover and keep for an hour or until doubled.
- Punch the dough and divide into two. Roll the first piece into a circle of about 12 inches in diameter.
- Cut 24 strips. Roll three strips one by one, at a time. Pinch the ends together and make a tight braid.
- Tuck in the edges on both the sides.
- Prepare all the bread sticks this way and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the other piece of dough.
- Cover and keep for 20 to 25 minutes or until doubled. Preheat oven at 360°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on the rack.