If you’re a fan of bolognese but are looking for a healthier, compassionate and sustainable way to replace meat, listen closely. You can have your lasagna and eat it, too! This easy vegan bolognese lasagna is made with textured soy protein, for a version that is very close to the traditional meaty recipe.
Bolognese Lasagna [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lasagna:
- Homemade vegan parmesan
- 5.3 ounces vegan grated cheese
- Around 9 uncooked whole grain lasagna sheets (gluten-free if necessary)
For the Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 dry textured soy protein
- Enough water or bouillon to cover the textured soy protein
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 handful frozen or fresh spinach, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 17.6 ounces plain tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon nama shoyu (healthier soy sauce) or tamari
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, minced
- Place the textured soy protein in a large bowl and cover with water or, ideally, vegetable bouillon. Set aside. Meanwhile, finely dice the onion, garlic, mushrooms, and carrot.
- In a large pan on medium-high heat, sauté the onion in 1 teaspoon oil or water for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and carrots and cook until the mushrooms have released their water, about 5 minutes.
- Drain your soy protein well and add to the pan. Cook for a minute. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spinach, dried oregano, and basil, and soy sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes. Finally, add the fresh basil.
- In a 8x10-inch pan, add a quarter of the sauce. Add one layer of lasagna sheets without overlapping. Add a quarter of the sauce and cover with a few tablespoons of cashew parmesan. Add another layer of lasagna sheets, another quarter of the sauce, more cashew parmesan. Finally add one last layer of pasta, the last quarter of the sauce and your grated cheese.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes in the oven preheated at 350°F. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before cutting.