These blueberry jam danishes are not only delicious but they are beautiful as well. The blueberry is a perfect mix of tangy and sweet! You must try them!
Blueberry Jam Danishes [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup warm almond milk, warmed in microwave for 1 minute
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, cold (this will be used to form the dough)
- 1 cup vegan butter, room temp (this will be used to spread on dough)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup good quality blueberry jam
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Add the yeast and almond milk to a small bowl; stir to combine then let sit for 10-15 minutes, until foamy
- In a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flours, sugar, and salt; mix until combined
- Add two tablespoons of the butter, cut in small pieces, and continue mixing until the mixture resembles coarse meal, pour in the yeast mixture and mix on medium speed
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour one tablespoon at a time (you may or may not need the entire 1/4 cup), and mix just until everything is combined. wrap the dough tightly with plastic and refrigerate for 90 minutes.
- Sprinkle counter with flour and roll dough out into a rectangle. Cover 2/3 of the dough with the remaining cup of butter. Fold the unbuttered third of dough over the buttered center, then over again. pinch the edges of the dough to seal and roll it out into another rectangle. Repeat the folding process by folding the dough into thirds again, but without the butter.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Do the rolling and folding and chilling thing 2 more times
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, line baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust counter with flour and roll out the dough.
- Cut into 3″ squares, or whatever shape you want.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Once squares are chilled, use bottom of a 1/8 measuring cup to press into center. you want it slightly indented and there to be a small pit area for the jam. spread jam into pit, about 1 tsp or so.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. cool on wire rack
- Make icing by stirring powdered sugar and lime juice. Drizzle over pastries
- Keep for up to 2 days in container, doesn’t have to be airtight