This was by far the best idea for a salad topper I’ve ever had. My only regret is it didn’t make more!
Blueberry Balsamic Tempeh Over Spring Salad [Vegan]
- 1/4 block tempeh, sliced in half
- 1 T blueberry syrup, jam, or mashed fresh berries
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 T + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups spinach, mixed greens, or butter lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 c snap peas
- 1 small avocado
- 1 T dried cranberries
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place tempeh slices in a shallow dish and microwave or steam briefly to soften.
- Whisk together blueberry syrup, 1 T balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp olive oil, cinnamon, Arizona Dreaming, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over tempeh, turning to coat. Let sit and marinate for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and marinade to pan. Cook, watching closely, until marinade thickens around tempeh, and slices are browned.
- Wash and tear lettuce into pieces in a salad bowl.
- Dice veggies and avocado and add to lettuce with cranberries.
- Combine 1 T balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 T olive oil, mustard, and a dash of salt and pepper together in a jar. Seal and shake well to combine. Toss with salad.
- Top with warm tempeh and serve.