Shishito peppers may look like a variety of hot pepper, but don't be fooled; these Japanese peppers are actually quite sweet and crisp. The key to these guys is cooking them in really hot olive or coconut oil so they blister and blacken in some areas. You can also grill them. In this recipe, they are simply seasoned with fresh garlic, salt, and sesame seeds for garnish, but you could also and add any flavor you like.
Blistered Sesame Garlic Shishito Peppers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, coconut oil or sesame oil
- 1 6-ounce package of shishito peppers
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Kosher salt, sea salt, or garlic salt
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers in a single layer, and allow to sizzle for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Flip them over and allow to cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and begin to toss and turn the peppers to ensure they are tender and blistered, and the garlic is lightly browned.
- Remove from heat, add the desired amount of kosher/sea/garlic salt and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Serve hot.
- Bell Pepper