What doubles as breakfast and dessert? These blackberry chia jam crumble bars! A base made from ground almonds, oats, and dates is topped with a thick, fruity chia jam followed by a crunchy crumble topping. They're gluten-free, free from refined sugar, and packed with antioxidants from the yummy blackberries. Grab one to go on your way to work or serve it with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for dessert.
Blackberry Chia Jam Crumble Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Blackberry Chia Jam:
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (allow to thaw if frozen)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
For the Base:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour or buckwheat flour for completely gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or grapeseed oil
To Make the Chia Jam:
- Start by making your chia jam ahead of time. Blend all jam ingredients together in a blender until you reach your desired consistency. You can make it super smooth or a little chunky depending on how you like your jam.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight or for about 2 hours until set.
To Make the Base:
- Add all your base ingredients into a food processor and process until sticky to the touch. If your mixture is not sticky enough, add a few more dates or 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Press mixture into the bottom of a lined square baking dish.
- Spoon over a layer of blackberry chia jam, spread out evenly and set aside. Use as much or as little jam as you like and keep the leftovers for later.
To Make the Crumble:
- Add all your ingredients except oil to a separate bowl and mix well. Pour your oil over the top of the crumble mixture and mix well until the mixture is evenly coated in oil. Sprinkle the crumble topping over your jam.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 355°F. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into bars.