This is a plant-based take on the classic shepherd's pie that is warming, hearty, and a most excellent comfort food. This pie is packed with charred broccoli, caramelized onions, and black lentils that are all tucked in with a generous layer of mashed potatoes.
Black Lentil Charred Broccoli Shepherd’s Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pie:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (1 teaspoon of dried thyme)
- 3/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or sea salt or to taste
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Caramelized onions
- Black lentils, cooked
- Mashed potatoes
For the Broccoli:
- 2 large heads broccoli roughly chopped (charring the broccoli literally halves in size)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Charred Broccoli:
- Preheat oven to 425°F Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss together the broccoli, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread it out on the baking sheet and place it on the middle rack.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli is as charred as you like it.
To Make the Pie:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add the vegan butter to the onions and when it's melted, stir in the arrowroot powder, add the wine, and mash in the bouillon.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, thyme, salt, and lentils. Stir everything together.
- Spread the lentil/onion mix on the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish and then top it with the broccoli.
- Evenly spread the mashed potatoes on top of the broccoli and smooth it out as best you can.
- Place this on the middle rack and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it's slightly golden.