This fabulous array of ingredients is more of an assembly than a recipe. The cashew cheese is so delicious you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful.
Black Bean Tempeh Nachos With Cashew Cheese [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked from 1 hour to overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or tapioca flour (they are the same thing)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 to 18 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 Roma tomato, diced small
- 8 ounces tempeh, diced very small
- 1 hot chili pepper, sliced thin crosswise
- 2 tablespoons raw shelled hempseed
- 1 avocado
- Juice from one lime
- Add all the cheese ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer this blended mixture into a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat and stir until the sauce thickens a bit. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes. Take off the heat to cool slightly.
To assemble the nachos:
- Lay all the chips on a platter. Sprinkle black beans over the chips. Dot with cashew cheese. Sprinkle the red onion, tomato, tempeh, chili pepper, and hempseed all over the top.
- Dice the avocado and dredge in lime juice. Sprinkle diced avocado over the nachos.