This burger is a hearty, plant-based patty at its finest! Black beans, tempeh, and oats are combined, seasoned with garlic and nutritional yeast (among other things) and then baked until firm. Apart from being delicious, they are also freezer-friendly, so go ahead and make a big batch!
Black Bean Tempeh and Oat Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cup tempeh, steamed
- 1 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, coriander, or all spice powder
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup corn
- 3 garlic cloves
- A handful of parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed chilis (optional)
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- To remove some of the bitterness you can steam the tempeh for 20-30 minutes before using it. If you are going to bake these burgers in the oven, you should preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain the beans, place them in a big bowl, and mash them.
- Process the oats, flax seeds, nutritional yeast, and spices until everything is ground up.
- After you've removed the dry mixture from the food processor, add the onion, steamed tempeh, corn, garlic, and herbs, and pulse until everything is chopped. Now, add everything to the bowl of beans and mix well.
- Form patties out of the mixture and bake them in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping them halfway through. To cook them in a pan, add a little bit of oil and panfry them on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.