Empanadas are an undeniably delicious finger food. This recipe shows you how to make your own empanada dough and filling without breaking too much of a sweat. You likely already have most of the ingredients in your pantry. Munch on these refried black bean and bell pepper stuffed empanadas with some freshly made pico de gallo.
Black Bean Empanadas With Fresh Pico de Gallo [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup semolina flour or cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, cold
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
For the Filling:
- Black beans
- Refried black beans
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Onion, diced
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Spanish spice blend
For the Pico de Gallo:
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Diced white onion
- Heaps of fresh cilantro
- Sea salt
- Lime juice
To Make the Filling:
- Sauté onion, red pepper, and spices with the whole black beans.
- Mix in the refried beans. Warm and then remove from heat.
- Add lime juice and cilantro to taste.
To Make the Dough and Bake the Empanadas:
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a large bowl. Then, add the coconut oil. You want to break it up into small pieces either by hand or with pastries knives. When it's fully dispersed your dough is ready for the water/vinegar solution. Mix this up until you have a shaggy dough; it might require more water. Add a tablespoon at a time.
- When it sticks together, turn it out onto a floured board and roll into a 5x8-inch rectangle. Pop it back into the refrigerator at this time for an hour or so. This is an important step.
- When you're ready to make the empanadas, pull it out of the refrigerator and roll it out a bit more to 9x12-inch.
- Cut it into 12 equal portions. Each one of these squares gets rolled out again to a 6x6-inch piece. These are your diamonds.
- Fill one with a tablespoon or two of filling. Arrange it so a corner's facing you and flip one side over to form a triangle. Crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- When they're all assembled, arrange them on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet at bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
To Make the Pico De Gallo:
- Mix together the fresh diced tomatoes, diced white onion, heaps of fresh cilantro, lime juice, and sea salt.