This protein-rich stew is seasonal, hearty, and has a secret ingredient... that's right, the base is mixed with beer. Simple, yummy, and perfect for a holiday party.
Black Bean, Cauliflower, and Sweet Potato Stew [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Black Bean, Cauliflower, and Sweet Potato Stew [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup olive oil for baking/sautéing
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into big-size cubes
- 1 large cooking onion, diced
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups fresh ripe tomatoes with skins, diced
- 1 teaspoon of each: dried oregano, powdered cumin and paprika (hot or mild)
- 1 clove or a pinch of powdered clove
- 2 cups beer, preferably dark
- 4 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade (can add more later-optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked black beans, (canned or dry beans boiled)
- 2 cups raw cauliflower florets
- Add a little almond milk to reduce acidity (optional)
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Garnish servings with dried herbs of choice
How to Prepare Black Bean, Cauliflower, and Sweet Potato Stew [Vegan]
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a baking dish, toss the sweet potato cubes with a little olive oil and spread them out evenly. Cover dish with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until partially cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Heat up 2-3 tablespoons olive oil a big pot. Reduce to medium heat and sauté for 6 minutes the onion, red pepper, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, paprika, and clove. Add a little water if ingredients stick to the bottom.
- Add beer, vegetable stock, and tomato paste. Add the 3 cups of black beans and simmer with cover on for 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups of stew base (with some beans) to a separate pot and process with a handheld blender until thick. Pour this back into the stew pot and mix well.
- Add partially cooked sweet potatoes and raw cauliflower florets to the stew and simmer for 15-20 minutes with lid partially on, stirring from time to time. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Season with sea salt and ground pepper to taste. Add some almond milk to reduce acidity (optional).
- Let the stew sit off the heat to marinate for 15 minutes before serving. The potatoes and black beans can soak up some stock and beer. Add more vegetable stock according to taste. Adjust salt and pepper. Serve with crusty bread.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 486 | Carbs: 63 g | Fat:16 g | Protein: 17 g | Sodium: 680 mg | Sugar: 10 g Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.