This Indian dish, traditionally called Bisi Bele Bath, literally translates to hot lentil rice dish, which is perfect because that's exactly what it is. It's a spicy, healthy, nutritious, and flavorful one-pot meal prepared using aromatic spices and vegetables of your choice.
Bisi Bele Bath: Indian One-Pot Spicy Rice and Lentils [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 marati moggu or dry capers (optional)
- 1 mace (optional)
- 10 florets broccoli
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 10 green beans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sambar powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons cashews, chopped
- 1 dried red chile
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 5 strands cilantro (optional)
- In a pressure cooker, add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, star anise, marati moggu, and mace and sautée for few seconds.
- Now add the washed rice and lentils and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, approximately 4 cups of water, and salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down, remove the weight. Just whisk the rice and lentil.
- Add all the vegetables of your choice, salt to taste, water if required for desired consistency, sambar powder, and coriander powder, mix well. Bring this to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in pan. Add cumin seeds and cashews and sautée until cashews become golden in color.
- Add curry leaves and red chili, sautée and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot.