These sweet and salty granola bars are perfect for an on-the-go snack. The crunchy hazelnuts paired with dark chocolate make for a heavenly treat that won’t pack on the calories. Easily substitute dried bananas for your favorite dried fruit for fun variations.
Oat and Hazelnut Banana Granola Bars [Vegan]
- 2¾ cups rolled oats (250 g)
- ¾ cup chopped hazelnuts (100 g)
- 1 cup dried bananas (80 g)
- 1¾ cups cornflakes (60 g)
- 2 ³ cup agave syrup (150 mL)
- 4 tablespoons soy cream
- ½ tablespoon raw cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sea salt
- 7 ounces dark chocolate (200 g)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- While stirring, toast the rolled oats and hazelnuts in a non-stick skillet over medium heat for approx. 10 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the dried bananas and crumble the cornflakes.
- Mix these ingredients well with the agave syrup, soy cream, raw cane sugar, vanilla, flour, and 2 pinches of sea salt.
- Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet (approx. 15.5 x 14 inches or 40 x 36 cm) lined with parchment paper so that it is just under ¼ inch (5 mm) thick.
- Place a second piece of parchment paper that is the same size as the baking sheet on top of the mixture.
- Use your hands or a rolling pin to smooth the mixture out and press it down so that it will hold together.
- Bake the mixture with the parchment paper on top in a hot oven for approx. 13 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate over a hot water bath. To do this, bring some water to a boil in a saucepan and then reduce to medium heat.
- Allow the chocolate to melt in a metal bowl over the water bath. The metal bowl shouldn’t come into contact with the water bath.
- Cut the mixture into bars that are approx. 4.5 x 2 inches (12 x 5 cm) and dip individually into the melted chocolate.
- Place each bar on a sheet of parchment paper to dry before serving.