Today, I tried a version in the instant pot, and I am in love. Truly this version practically took no effort. The gentle delicacy of flavors in this simple condiment is quite amazing!
Bengali Tomato Chutney with Ginger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon oil (preferably mustard)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 4 medium sized plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon
- (can be substituted to mustard seeds
- Turn the instant pot on the saute mode. Add in about 1 tablespoon oil and wait until the display registers hot. Add in the fennel seeds. After 30 seconds add in the ginger and saute lightly for about 20 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, brown sugar and water and mix well and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cancel the saute mode and set on pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- Open the lid after a natural pressure release.
- Puree the chutney with an immersion blender if you like the smooth consistency (I do!)
- Heat the remaining oil in a small pan, add in the crushed red pepper flakes and wait until they darken.
- Add the nigella seeds pour the seasoned oil over the tomato chutney and cool before serving.
- Stove Top Instructions
- Follow the process as described but reduce the water by half. Cover and cook for 20 minutes before removing.