There are few things in life better than a perfectly creamy risotto, at least when it comes to food. Now you might ask, how do you achieve the perfect creaminess of risotto, without the added Parmesan? In this creamy beet risotto, it's the combination of almond butter and nutritional yeast. This little vegan risotto “trick” can be used in any risotto you like. Beets give this risotto its vibrant red color and slightly earthy flavor. On top of all that deliciousness, it's topped with grilled King Oyster mushrooms!
Beet Risotto With Grilled King Oyster Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 cups, plus 2 teaspoons risotto rice (such as arborio)
- 2 tablespoon white wine
- About 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 medium beets (about 9.32 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 King Oyster mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
To Make the Risotto:
- First, chop the onion, mince the garlic and peel and grate the beet into fine shreds using a rough cheese grater.
- In a medium pot, heat up the coconut oil and cook the onions until translucent, add the garlic and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Add the rice and cook while stirring until the rice becomes translucent, then deglaze with the white wine.
- Start adding the vegetable broth about a scant 1/2 cup at a time, while continuously stirring.
- Whenever the broth has gone, add a little more and so on.
- Do this until about half of the broth is cooked into the rice, then add the beet shreds. Continue adding the broth and stirring the rice until all of the broth is gone. Taste the rice for desired creaminess and consistency and if needed add a little more or less broth.
- Once you feel the risotto is finished add the nutritional yeast, thyme, and almond butter and mix in well with the risotto, it will leave it even more rich and creamy as before.
- Finally, add salt and pepper to taste.
To Make the King Oyster Mushrooms:
- For the King Oyster mushrooms, cut each of them into about 1cm thick slices and brush with the chili oil. Set the oven on grill and make sure it has properly heated about (about 5-10 minutes depending on your oven). Then grill in the oven for 10 minutes, no need to turn them around.
- Then serve on top of the risotto.