Lets get creative with the classic comfort food mac and cheese by throwing in your favorite in season root veggie. Beets are so full of nutrients and great for you health. Throwing them in this already pretty healthy vegan mac and cheese only helps elevate this to ‘eat as much as you want’ status.
Beet Mac and Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup potatoes
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup beet juice
- 1 container of gluten-free pasta
- Peel and chop your potatoes, carrots, onions, and shallots.
- Add vegetables to 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- While this boils, juice 2-3 raw beets (depends how big they are). You'll need about 1/2 cup of juice.
- Add cashews, butter, salt, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, pepper, cayenne, and paprika to your blender.
- When the vegetables are very soft, pour the entire contents of the pot (water included) into the blender and pulse a few times.
- Add the beet juice to the mixture.
- Blend for a few minutes until the mixture is super fine with no chunks or visible particles. You want this as creamy as possible.
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package. Al dente is best. Drain when it's ready and put the noodles back in the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and mix with a large spoon. Sprinkle with your favorite toppings.
Total Calories: 1832 | Total Carbs: 247 g | Total Fat: 84 g | Total Protein: 28 g | Total Sodium: 1309 g | Total Sugar: 22 g Per Serving: Calories: 458 | Carbs: 62 g | Fat: 21 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 327 mg | Sugar: 6 g