These incredible burgers will without a doubt bring a breath of fresh air to your next BBQ adventure. They are made with meaty black beans, earthy beets, and a bit of fresh basil. Stack 'em on buns with your favorite fixings for a meal that is definitely more energizing than your average beef patty.
Beet Basil and Black Bean Burgers [Vegan]
For the Patties:
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup beet, grated and packed
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 large handful fresh basil, roughly torn
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Hamburger buns
- Sliced tomato
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl, or pulse lightly in a food processor until combined. Don't overmix in your processor as you want the mixture to stay relatively dry and not get too sloppy.
- Press the mixture firmly into a 1/4 cup measuring cup and pop out onto an oven tray until you have 12 burgers. With the back of your measuring cup flatten the burgers slightly pushing any stray bits back into the burger round.
- Bake the burgers on fan bake for 15 minutes, grilling for a few minutes at the end if you want them a little browner. Then flip over and bake for 5 more minutes on the other side, putting your whole grain rolls in at the same time so they bake up nice and crunchy.
- Serve two burger patties each on whole grain rolls, with your toppings of choice.