Get ready for warmer weather with these hearty burgers! Beets give them their gorgeous pink color and earthy flavor while freshly cooked black beans add a meaty texture. Serve these topped with sprouts, fried onion, and mushrooms with sweet potato fries on the side.
Beet and Black Bean Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burgers:
- 3 large beets
- 1 cup uncooked black beans
- Generous 1 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dill
For the Serving Options:
- Gluten-free bread rolls
- Salad leaves
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Fried onions
- Fried Chestnut mushrooms
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them to a saucepan with water. Cook for 1 hour until tender and soft.
- Once your beans have started cooking, pre-heat the oven to 355°F before peeling and chopping the beets. Place them on a baking tray, drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle with the dill, and season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and cover with foil, roast for 45 minutes, then set aside to cool slightly.
- When the beans are cooked drain them and run under cold water to cool. Add them to a food processor with the beets, oats, and spices. Pulse for a couple of minutes, scraping down the sides regularly until you have a fairly smooth consistency.
- Shape into burgers and place on a lightly oiled baking tray. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes which help gives them a firmer consistency. You can skip this step if you don’t mind them a little squishy, or are really hungry.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve on a bun with toppings of your choice and a large side salad. Or skip the gluten and serve with sweet potato wedges.