This recipe for bean nuggets is basic, cheap, and great to make during busy weeks. Ideal for kids to make when they're bored and it will get them eating more veg.
Bean Nuggets [Vegan]
- 1 can mixed beans drained
- 2 slices bread (to make breadcrumbs) I used wholemeal
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pink/sea salt
- season with black pepper
- Preheat oven to 356°F
- Place the bread in your blender/food processor and blend briefly until you have breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- To your clean, empty food processor add (save a handful for the end) the beans, curry powder, garlic, onion, carrot, peas, salt, and pepper. Blend to chop and combine the ingredients. I like the nuggets chunky so left the mixture coarsely chopped.
- Transfer into a large bowl and add the breadcrumbs and the handful of ingredients you didn't blend. Mix together with a spoon then use your hands to bring the mixture together. The liquids from the veg will soak into the breadcrumbs and help the nuggets set.
- Shape into nuggets (6 large or 12 smaller) and place on an oiled baking tray. Bake for 20-25 (15-20 for smaller nuggets) minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the nuggets to sit for a few minutes to set. If you remove them too quickly they will fall apart. Serve with your favorite dip or sauce. Enjoy!